Due to popular demand, our Concepts of Biology course is available now, and will be delivered promptly after ordering. The Concepts of Biology Course contains over 100 individual micro lesson resources and is designed for a typical introductory biology course covering standard sequence requirements. The course includes the major themes of biology, with content that is clear and easy to understand.
Concepts of Biology is designed for the single-semester introduction to biology course for non-science majors, which for many students, is their only college-level science course. As such, this course represents an important opportunity for students to develop the necessary knowledge, tools, and skills to make informed decisions as they continue with their lives. Rather than being mired down with facts and vocabulary, the typical non-science major student needs information presented in a way that is easy to consume and understand. Students do much better when they understand why biology is relevant to their everyday lives, therefore, Concepts of Biology includes exciting features that highlight careers in the biological sciences and everyday applications of the concepts presented. Because each lesson in Concepts of Biology is available independently, instructors can adapt the course to the approach that works best in their classroom. Concepts of Biology also includes an innovative art program that incorporates critical thinking and knowledge check questions to help students understand, and apply, key concepts.
The course is really easy to use. You simply upload the self-grading, supplemental microlearning packages to your Learning Management System (LMS) for students to learn anytime, anywhere. Because each lesson is included individually, you have complete control over how you want to use each one. It will also save you valuable time and preparation work!
Micros within the course include a lesson, interactive glossary flip cards, quick knowledge check questions, links to connect the material to real-world concepts, and a final knowledge check quiz. We’ve also included 21 Final Assessments separately, making the course completely comprehensive. It gives you unlimited options so that you can choose how you want to use it, whether you decide to include it as part of your teaching or let it stand on its own. Each Micro automatically reports the Knowledge Check Quiz and Final Assessment scores to the students and also to your LMS so that you can see how well your students understood the material.
All of our Micros are licensed for your unlimited students, so you can use it and reuse it for FREE year after year, resulting in an ultimate cost savings!
In addition to a comprehensive coverage of core concepts and foundational research, features have been incorporated that draw learners into the discipline in meaningful ways. The scope of content was developed after surveying over a hundred biology professors and listening to their coverage needs. A thorough treatment of biology’s fundamental concepts is provided, along with a scope that is manageable for both instructors and students alike.
- Unit 1: The Cellular Foundation of Life (24 resources). The opening unit introduces students to the sciences, including the process of science and the underlying concepts from the physical sciences that provide a framework within which learners comprehend biological processes. Additionally, students will gain solid understanding of the structures, functions, and processes of the most basic unit of life: the cell.
- Unit 2: Cell Division and Genetics (13 resources). The genetics unit takes learners from the foundations of cellular reproduction to the experiments that revealed the basis of genetics and laws of inheritance.
- Unit 3: Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (10 resources). In this unit, students will learn the intricacies of DNA, protein synthesis, and gene regulation and current applications of biotechnology and genomics.
- Unit 4: Evolution and the Diversity of Life (26 resources). The core concepts of evolution are discussed in this unit with examples illustrating evolutionary processes. Additionally, the evolutionary basis of biology reappears throughout the course in general discussion and is reinforced through special call-out features highlighting specific evolution-based topics. The diversity of life is explored with detailed study of various organisms and discussion of emerging phylogenetic relationships between and among bacteria, protist kingdoms, fungi, plants, and animals.
- Unit 5: Animal Structure and Function (16 resources). An introduction to the form and function of the animal body is followed by lessons on the immune system and animal development. This unit touches on the biology of all organisms while maintaining an engaging focus on human anatomy and physiology that helps students connect to the topics.
- Unit 6: Ecology (14 resources). Ecological concepts are broadly covered in this unit, with features highlighting localized, real-world issues of conservation and biodiversity.
We’ve also included demos of just a few of the Micros in the Concepts of Biology Course on the course library page and in the links below, so that you can try them out and see exactly what they will look like on your LMS! Here is just a small sample of what you will find in the Concepts of Biology Course:
From Unit 1, Section 4.1: How Cells Obtain Energy: Energy and Metabolism
From Unit 2, Section 6.2: Cell Division and Genetics: The Cell Cycle
From Unit 3, Section 10.1: Biotechnology: Cloning and Genetic Engineering
From Unit 4, Section 11.4: Evolution and Its Processes: Speciation
From Unit 5, Section 17.1: The Immune System and Disease: Viruses
From Unit 6, Section 19.1: Population and Community Ecology: Population Demographics and Dynamics
You can order the Concepts of Biology Course today through the Shop or by calling us at (931) 854-9910.
Sharing is Nice