We call microlearning packages “Micros”.
A “Micro” is a short, self-contained lesson designed for easy consumption.
Micros typically have a few key points with interactions and a trackable quiz and can be part of a topic (a “Macro”). Micros reduce cognitive load, deliver timely feedback, and allow students to learn at their own pace.
Micros are self-contained and portable. They’re SCORM packages that can be easily uploaded to your Learning Management System (LMS) or Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
Micros deliver content, feedback and assessment to students and best of all, automatically grade and report your students’ scores back to your LMS.
See a Micro in action in Blackboard’s Learn LMS in this quick video overview (Warning: It has happy music!).
Micros are ideal for transitioning to paperless formative assessment and will provide the indispensable, supplemental resources you need to complement your teaching.
Benefits for Teachers
• Save time, effort and paper
• Automatically grades and enters scores in your LMS gradebook
• Unlimited options when used with other Micros. You can decide what topics you want, when you want to assign them and how often you want students to complete them
• Self-contained, quick and easy to use
• Real-time updates on your students’ knowledge on the subject
• Allows you to see at a glance who’s doing well and who’s struggling
• Reduces late homework submissions, since students can turn it in without having to physically be there
Benefits for Students
• Anytime, anywhere learning
• Instant scores after quizzes
• Easy-to-follow, beautifully-designed interface that adapts to any computer or mobile device
• See, track, and save progress
• Be in charge of their own learning
• Available completely online – turn in homework as soon as it is finished